Killer Bahati Motorist Still at Large, Police say

Killer Bahati Motorist Still at Large, Police say

The motorist involved in the killer accident that claimed three lives is yet to be arrested. Police in Bahati OCPD Edward Wafula has said that a manhunt has been launched in search of the driver and other occupants of the personal car who went into a hiding after the incident. The accident took place on Saturday evening at Maili Kumi trading center along the busy Nakuru-Nyahururu Highway.

The incident saw three children from one family lose their lives on Saturday, December 1. Police say that they are working hand in hand with their National Transport and Safety Authority counterparts who will help them in the inspection of the vehicle as they pursue the suspects.

The personal car is said to have veered off the road thus hitting the three children who were walking along the same road.

Among the three children was Brian Nderitu, 15, who had gone to have a talk with his father. He was to inform his father that he wanted to go through initiation after completing his KCPE examinations. He scored of 391 marks in the examinations and was set to join form one early next year.

He had been accompanied by his 13-year old younger sister, Ruth Wanjiru and Anthony Njenga who had gone to have his hair cut at Maili Kumi trading center.their mother, Jacinta Njeri told the media that the children had left at 4pm looking jovial as they were to see their father whom they had not seen for long after he married another woman.

The teary mother of five says that she grew impatient after the children took long without coming back home yet they had promised to go back home early. That is what led her out only to meet her neighbours talking about an accident which had involved children, thus raising her fear that it would be her children.

She later received a message that she was needed at Bahati Subcounty Hospital where they had been taken after the accident by the well wishers. That is where she found out that the children were hers and Nderitu had died on the spot while the other two were fighting for their lives at the hospital. They were later transferred to Rift Valley Provincial General Hospital where they succumbed to the injuries later on Sunday.

The car with the registration number KBA 819 Z is still at Bahati Police Station where it is being held.

By Peter Gitutu