In light of the recent demolitions that are happening in the capital, it is always good to ensure that you’re following the correct processes involved in land leasing and owning. The Kenyan Constitution is clear on public, community and Private land acquisition. It will therefore require you as a buyer to ensure that the land is not on riparian land or if the land is set aside for road expansion.

In this article we will have to get down into details on which process to follow in order to be allowed to build a property

Before you think of coming up with a building you need to;

  1. Approach an architect

Approach an architect who will come up with a structural plans .He/she is the one who will have to seek for the approval of the designed plan. The architect alongside the developer will seek to acquire accreditations from various stages as shown.

  1. Visit NEMA

The first visit is to the National Environmental Management Authority where he will have to deal with two tests

  1. Environment Impact Assessment test- where you are required to account whether the building will affect the environment. You will be forced to look for an environmentalist who will visit the site then issue a report on the same to NEMA to be given an Environment Impact Assessment Certificate.
  2. Social Impact Assessment test-in this test you will have to specify the type of project you want to come up with. Have an interactive session with the people surrounding your property and know how they will take up the idea. Submit the views to NEMA in order to acquire a certificate of Social Impact Assessment.
  1. County Government

The next step to take after NEMA is visit the county government in order to acquire another certificate from it. The county will inquire about the previous processes in order to be handed the building permit.

  1. National Construction Authority

This is a government agency that will receive the certificates issued from the previous stages. The process is done online through uploading the required documents. This is a regulatory body that will have to inspect the contractor, engineers and all those who will be working at the site. It will consider if all the safety regulation will have been followed. After it has ensured that everything is up to standard you will then be issued with the compliance certificate and they will also have to visit the site frequently to ensure everything is in place.

  1. Back to the county

The last process to is the county. The proprietor is then required to return to the county so as to be given the occupation certificate that will give a go ahead to allow people to stay in the building.

By Sifuma N. Lilian-sifumalilian@gmail.com