Thousands of commuters across Kenya were stranded for a second consecutive day on Tuesday as the nationwide Public Service Vehicle (PSV) strike continued to disrupt transport services over rising fuel prices and operational costs.
Major highways and roads that are usually packed with vehicles recorded unusually light traffic, with sections of Nairobi’s busy Thika Superhighway appearing nearly empty for hours. Several matatu stages across the country also remained deserted as operators kept their vehicles off the roads in solidarity with the strike.In Kitale town, Kitale-Eldoret and Kitale-Bungoma roads, only a few matatus were seen operating on the roads as some were parked at various stages.
Only a small number of matatus were seen operating in some areas as commuters struggled to access transport to workplaces, schools and businesses.
The strike persisted despite the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) announcing a reduction in diesel prices by Sh10.06 per litre for the period between May 19 and June 14, 2026. Super petrol prices remained unchanged.
Under the new review, diesel in Nairobi will retail at Sh232.86 per litre, petrol at Sh214.25, while kerosene increased sharply to Sh191.38 per litre.EPRA said the review followed concerns raised by public transport operators over the widening price gap between diesel and kerosene, warning that the difference could increase the risk of fuel adulteration.
However, PSV operators argued that the reduction was insufficient to ease the financial burden facing the transport sector.Operators said the high cost of diesel and petrol had drastically reduced profits and pushed many transport owners into losses amid rising maintenance, insurance and spare parts costs.
The industrial action followed failed negotiations between transport stakeholders and government representatives aimed at addressing concerns over fuel prices and the increasing cost of living.
Matatu Owners Association President Albert Karakacha confirmed that the strike would continue after overnight talks collapsed.“We have not agreed on anything. The government, through the Ministry of Energy, can look for the Sh45 we are losing. We are already servicing loans and still cannot pay for some services. The matatu strike will continue until we get a solution,” he said.
Karakacha further claimed that operators had already incurred losses exceeding Sh500 million but insisted they were prepared to continue with the strike until fuel prices are reduced further.
As the industrial action stretches into another day, the sight of empty highways, parked matatus and stranded commuters highlights the growing pressure high fuel prices continue to place on Kenya’s transport sector and the wider economy.
By Emmanuel Kirui
